Southborough C of E Primary School


We adhere to the Local Education Authority’s admission policy. Please see the local authority website . Starting school for the first time is a very big step in the life of all children and it is important that the transfer into full-time education goes as smoothly as possible.

Parents are legally responsible to ensure their child starts school in the year in which they have their fifth birthday. They will start school in the Autumn term (September) initially part-time for a period of up to 3 weeks to ensure children are happy, settled and ready for full days. There is an opportunity to delay starting full-time education, at parent’s request and in consultation with the Class Teacher and Headteacher, if your child is not ready which sometimes is the case for very young summer born children.

Reception place applications can be made on-line from the November before your child is due to start Reception the following September by logging on to the Kent County Council’s website on-line at All applications are accessed according to the admission criteria and offer letters are sent out direct from the local authority. Our school has close links with the local pre-schools. During the term prior to starting school our Reception teachers offer a home visit or one to one consultation with you and your child in order to get to know you, your child and plan for their individual needs. They also visit the local pre-schools to meet the children at play. During this term the children are invited in to visit their new classroom to get to know the teacher, teaching assistant and the other children in the class. Parents are invited to a meeting with the Headteacher to discuss some of the key information within this prospectus and the way in which we introduce the children to school life. This meeting also gives parents the opportunity to ask questions or share concerns about their child starting school.

Go to for more information about your child joining school.

In year applications for children moving into the area or wishing to move schools are dealt with through the Junior school office.  Please contact them for an application pack.